Skip to main content

Black Friday Sparkles 2013

I said I wasn't going to shop on Black Friday, right? Well, plans changed, and I found myself heading out into the craziness with my Mama, Sister, and Little Peanut. It was the first time for my sister and Peanut, so they both earned their Black Friday Membership Club cards. Peanut was such a little trooper, I'll tell you what. We hit a couple of stores, starting out around 10ish, and finishing around 3:30, with a lunch break in between. Here's how it all went down...

Big Lots
I was weak. I'll admit it. Peanut and I carted off on our own, and found our way to the nail polish aisle, where I picked up Sinful Colors Mesmerize, Muse, and Smokin' for $1 each. (3/12 Treats of Christmas) Then I saw the iPhone cases, and I've been checking to see if they've restocked the one I really want. It's mint with studs on the back. They didn't have that one, BUT they had a pretty sea-foam green with a gold glitter back that hopped right into my cart. (Mama Sparkle tried to reel me in, and I just wouldn't listen!) Since it was $8, and because I feel guilty for breaking my hohohonobuy... it counts as 2 Treats. (5/12) And finally, while we were checking out, I got thirsty. Pepsi = Shopping Fuel! 

Resource Island
So, Peanut got a Play Kitchen for her birthday, and Mr. Sparkle already bought her these...

http://www.learningresources.com/product/new+sprouts-reg-+bushel+of+veggies+.do?sortby=bestSellers&
New Sprouts Bushel of Vegetables

If you've ever shopped for play food, you know there's the cheapo stuff that kids dent and bite holes into, and there's these... the New Sprouts Line from Learning Resources. They stand up to Peanut's chompers, can travel into the bath, and are slightly bouncy, so they're great for throwing! Bonus! (At least, until one hits me in the head...) The whole line is so well-made, I'd totally buy the entire classroom set, but I'm on a budget, and honestly, we'd need another play kitchen to store all that food! So, I bought her these for Christmas...

http://www.learningresources.com/product/new+sprouts-reg-+bushel+of+fruit+.do?sortby=bestSellers&
New Sprouts Bushel of Fruit

Kohl's
Did anyone shop here on Black Friday? I know they were doing the whole $15 Kohl's Cash promotion, but the lines were RIDICULOUS! We stopped to check out the toys and use their family-friendly changing room. The lines to check out were bordering on 25-30 people deep! We sort of skimmed through each section of the store, but the lines really turned us off from serious shopping.

TJ Maxx
Peanut isn't going to know what to do with all her fun Kitchen stuff... Mr. Sparkle's Mom got her the Fridge Food Set from Melissa & Doug. My Mama, Granny/Mama Sparkle got her the Food Group Set. While I was searching their site... I found this one that I'd love to get her...

Sushi Slicing Play Set
 
We'll probably have to wait a little bit for this one, though. I especially love the grips at the end of the chopsticks. I could definitely use a pair with grips when I'm dining on Nemo's extended family... Peanut would definitely chew the chopsticks to pieces right now, but still... what a fun way to introduce Sushi!

Sally Beauty Supply
My big sister picked up the tab at Sally Beauty, and you honestly will NAWT BELIEVE what I found. So, I've needed ridge filler for a while, because, for whatever reason, all of my bottles have turned to sludge, and I can't find my Nail Polish Thinner ANYWHERE. So, new bottle of that. Yay. Then I realized I haven't been in Sally since they've begun stocking OPI polish. I spotted a pretty, shimmery pink bottle on one of their Best of OPI displays, and I almost didn't pick it up. They had a couple of bottles from past collections, so I figured it was just a leftover bottle of Pedal Faster Suzi from the Spring 2012 Holland Collection. I turned over the bottle and about FAINTED!


"Princesses Rule!" was staring back at me from the label. Immediately, I found myself in a sort of quandary, because I had already broken the No Buy and was feeling guilty, not to mention that OPI polishes are above the range I had set for my 12 Treats of Christmas. My sister picked up on my simultaneous excitement and distress, and offered to get it as a stocking stuffer. She may be my only sister, but she's definitely my favorite. :)

So, I'm not sure if OPI is sending random bottles of leftover LE polishes to Sally Beauty stores, or what, but I HIGHLY recommend checking shaking down every bottle in their displays! You might just find a long-time lemming of your own, like Princesses Rule! (Which, for the record, was part of the 2009 OPI Soft Shades Princess Charming Collection.)  

KMart
After Sally Beauty, I was pretty much okay to stop shopping. Black Friday was really testing my resolve, and I wasn't doing too hot. I was ready to grab a box of candy canes and call it a day, but try as I might, I couldn't find the flavor I was looking for. I like peppermint, but I really wanted a box of the multi-colored cherry flavored candy canes. They were no.where.to.be.found. Lots of fruity and candy flavors. No cherry. Boo.

Moving on.

KMart DOES have a lot of really cool holiday gift sets, which I adore browsing through. I know most people probably think they're tacky, but they draw me in every time. Are they a bargain? Honestly, I'm not really sure. I just wish the coffee and tea sets came with all-year-round mugs and travel cups, not just ones with a seasonal theme.

Anyway... KMart also has a ton of toiletry gift sets, body wash, perfumes, and nail polish sets, too. For whatever reason, the limited edition nail polish displays and the Sinful Colors core collection stand-up display were over in KMart's holiday section, rather than the beauty section. If you've been looking for LE collections at KMart and haven't been finding them, that's where they might be hiding.

We were all starting to get a little hungry, Peanut included, so it was time to bale and head for home. Lunch was calling us, loudly!

Lunch
One of the best things about Thanksgiving is definitely eating leftovers. I credit Mr. Sparkle with introducing me to the Dickens. I really should've taken a picture, but I was so hungry... I ate it before I got the chance. Sorry! For reference, I've included a photo found from the interwebs so you can grasp the yumminess that is a Dickens Sammich.

c/o yelp.com and McNally's Tavern

A Dickens is basically Thanksgiving leftovers smashed between 2 slices of toasted bread. And it is DEEELICIOUS. So, I'm sharing my "recipe..."

2 Pieces of Bread
Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Shredded Mozarella Cheese
Gravy
Cranberry Sauce
Mayonnaise

1. Toast both slices of bread. Slather one side with mayo, the other with cranberry sauce.
2. Warm up mashed potatoes and stuffing. (Filling is also acceptable.)
3. Cover turkey with gravy and cheese, warm until cheese is melted.
4. Place turkey mixture on mayo toast, top with stuffing and mashed potatoes.
5. Place cranberry sauce toast on top, cranberry side down, obviously.
6. Cut in half.
7. Snarf.

Seriously, it's one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. Anytime you cram that much goodness into a sandwich... it's just sooo yummy. I'm a big fan of "kitchen sink" sandwiches. It's like when you were a kid and fries were always a topping on your burger. And then Burger King tried to call it the Fry Burger and act like it was an original idea. What's next? Packets of pre-mixed ketchup and mustard?

WalMart
Post-Dickens, I think we were all just ready for a biiiiig nap. Peanut hadn't taken one yet, and she was getting a little grumpy. I couldn't find cherry candy canes, so I had to settle for blueberry. And the candy canes made friends with a giant box of holiday nerds, so they had to come along, too. Peanut actually fell asleep just before we checked out...

Elmo = Pillow

Elmo makes a pretty good pillow when you're a sleepy one-year-old. This lasted for all of about 15 minutes, possibly less. Once we hit the parking lot, Peanut was WIDE awake. We went back to my parent's house, and she didn't want to nap. Dinner came and went, and she still hadn't napped. I really thought all that shopping would tire her out, but she always has energy to spare! That night, she woke up almost every 90 minutes. Probably should've gone with bedtime turkey instead of milk... :)

What Black Friday deals did you score?!?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SinfulColors Mauve On Seriotype

Whether you call it a seriotype or smooshy... (I prefer seriotype) there is just something about this style of manicure that I can't get enough of.  Polishes Used:  1 Coat Fingerpaints Smooth Out Ridge Filler 3 Coats SinfulColors Mauve On Essie Leggy Legend Pahlish Autumn People Pure Ice Get in Line 1 Coat SinfulColors Clear Coat 1 Coat Seche Vite Hey there! It's been a little while, hasn't it? Sorry about that. Life happens, you know? Oddly enough, I didn't stop painting my nails during my hiatus. I kept taking pictures for a while, and then that just sort of stopped to. Weird how some habits die hard, while others don't change a bit.  Anyhoo... I found pictures of this mani in my files and couldn't believe I didn't share it! This was one of my favorite polishes last spring, and I recreated this exact seriotype/ a few times.  This mani started out with 3 fresh coats of Mauve On. I typically wrap my tips on the 2nd c

Fishbowl Friday 073 // Recreation

Every now and then, I enjoy looking back over past manicures. Creatively, it's just neat to see how far I've come since the days I started. Oddly enough, when I chose this prompt, I knew exactly which manicure I wanted to recreate. Based loosely on Fishbowl Friday 027 , today's seriotype nails are a RECREATION ...  Polishes Used: 1 Coat Fingerpaints Smooth Over Ridge Filler 3 Coats China Glaze Violet Vibes Essie Leggy Legend Pahlish Autumn People Pure Ice Get in Line SinfulShine Konstellation 2 Coats SinfulColors Clear Coat 1 Coat Seche Vite Looking back, I can honestly say that my seriotype game has come far since I first learned the method. One of the things that took me a while to master was the balance of nail polish finishes. While seriotypes made exclusively with creme polishes look cool, those made with a combination of different finishes really pop. There's more depth involved when you layer a metallic over a jelly neon and

Fishbowl Friday 072 // Hard Candy

We're going to skip that whole part where we talk about how it's been a while, because well, it's been a really long while. I'm still trying to work out how to make room for blogging and juggle everything else, and it's definitely been a challenge. But know that I am working on it, and I do really, really miss it. This place has been my Quantum of Solace for a long time, and I'm not planning on letting it go anytime soon. That being said... for this week's prompt, I was happily surprised when I pulled HARD CANDY . This is probably one of the most iconic brands of nail polish, and it's certainly gone through it's own number of changes throughout the years. Who didn't want to own a bottle of Sky once they saw it on Alicia Silverstone's nails way back in the 90's? Last year, Hard Candy celebrated their 20th anniversary by bringing back some of their most iconic shades. The collection was a mix of five original shades and three new ones.