Skip to main content

My Resolutions for 2016

It might seem a little odd to be posting this in February, but there's a pretty good reason behind that, I promise. I actually sat down to write this post a few times and recent events have actually allowed it all to flow a little bit better!

You might not know this, but Seize the Sparkle was actually started as part of my New Year's resolution back in 2013. And here we are, just a few weeks into the year 2016. Seize the Sparkle turned three halfway through January, and I'm still working on digesting it! Oh, and you didn't miss any Anniversary or Blogiversary post, because there wasn't one. (Good reasons for that too!) 

No, I was busy working on making my biggest Resolution come to fruition. It was a search that actually started out in late September of last year, and got put on hold a little during the holidays, then slammed into full force at the beginning of the year.

The job search. (duh, duh, duuuuuuh...)

I've worked at my current job for almost ten years, and it was just time to start looking. Really actively looking. Any of you that have had to do this recently know just how much work goes into it! But I put my little nose to the grindstone and I start my new job the day after Valentine's Day.

And I'm sooooo excited!

You know, when I started out with this blog, I just wanted to see if I could do it for an entire year. That year turned into two, and now we're past the three year mark with no plans for quitting anytime soon. No worries about that. I'm sure it will take a little while for me to adjust to a new schedule and a commute and everything, but I'll figure out a way to make it work.

That's the thing about change. You adapt. It doesn't matter if you don't want to or you're not prepared. When circumstances around you change, you change with them.

When I started this blog in 2013, I was incredibly lost. I'll admit that. Fear and negativity had really crept into my life and changed me. Hardened me. To a point that I didn't recognize myself and neither did anyone else around me. I knew that writing had always been a form of expression for me, and I had a short-lived nail blog prior to Seize the Sparkle. So, I took a big leap of faith and started this blog.

Seize the Sparkle was a way to combat the negativity and turn it around. I wanted to get back to myself and find a way to reconnect with everyone and everything around me. All fears aside. I wanted to be brave and have courage.

That was three years ago, and I really haven't looked back since, or had any regrets at all. I've come to embrace change and see it as an opportunity, rather than something to be afraid of. With my head in a better place, the more I looked around, the more I started to see chances and opportunities all around me. Ways to be better. Think better. Act better.

So, for the first time in a long time, I finally have a direction. And on top of that, I have ideas, goals, and plans that feel like they might actually go somewhere now. It's exciting and refreshing at the same time!

Why am I sharing all of this? Well, I guess because if you're reading and feeling the way I felt, I just want you to know that you're not alone. I've been there too. There's nothing wrong with trying to improve yourself. There's no shame in starting over from scratch. And there's no shame in doing it a bunch of times before you get it right!

I've tried to define Seize the Sparkle as so many different things over the years, but the truth is, it's the process. They say that life is about the journey, not the destination. Well, Seize the Sparkle is really my way of capturing that journey. My journey.

Thomas Edison once said that "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." I've always loved that quote, but I think I have a better understanding of it now. He also said, "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."

If I could wish anything for you in 2016... it would be to keep trying. Even just one more time. And then one more after that. Challenge yourself to actively try. Even if it's something small. I promise, you won't regret it!

Are there more things on my Resolutions list? Absolutely! I always make it a goal to do something new and different with the Blog, even if I have no idea what that might be right now. I'd like to win NaNoWriMo 2016. I'd love to get better at planning meals during the week. I also need to organize my 3rd Helmer.

The list definitely doesn't stop there for me, and I don't find that I really confine goals or resolutions to the beginning of the year. Do you? I'm curious... What are some of your resolutions? How are they going? Let me know in the comments!

-S

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SinfulColors Mauve On Seriotype

Whether you call it a seriotype or smooshy... (I prefer seriotype) there is just something about this style of manicure that I can't get enough of.  Polishes Used:  1 Coat Fingerpaints Smooth Out Ridge Filler 3 Coats SinfulColors Mauve On Essie Leggy Legend Pahlish Autumn People Pure Ice Get in Line 1 Coat SinfulColors Clear Coat 1 Coat Seche Vite Hey there! It's been a little while, hasn't it? Sorry about that. Life happens, you know? Oddly enough, I didn't stop painting my nails during my hiatus. I kept taking pictures for a while, and then that just sort of stopped to. Weird how some habits die hard, while others don't change a bit.  Anyhoo... I found pictures of this mani in my files and couldn't believe I didn't share it! This was one of my favorite polishes last spring, and I recreated this exact seriotype/ a few times.  This mani started out with 3 fresh coats of Mauve On. I typically wrap my tips on the 2nd c

Fishbowl Friday 073 // Recreation

Every now and then, I enjoy looking back over past manicures. Creatively, it's just neat to see how far I've come since the days I started. Oddly enough, when I chose this prompt, I knew exactly which manicure I wanted to recreate. Based loosely on Fishbowl Friday 027 , today's seriotype nails are a RECREATION ...  Polishes Used: 1 Coat Fingerpaints Smooth Over Ridge Filler 3 Coats China Glaze Violet Vibes Essie Leggy Legend Pahlish Autumn People Pure Ice Get in Line SinfulShine Konstellation 2 Coats SinfulColors Clear Coat 1 Coat Seche Vite Looking back, I can honestly say that my seriotype game has come far since I first learned the method. One of the things that took me a while to master was the balance of nail polish finishes. While seriotypes made exclusively with creme polishes look cool, those made with a combination of different finishes really pop. There's more depth involved when you layer a metallic over a jelly neon and

Fishbowl Friday 072 // Hard Candy

We're going to skip that whole part where we talk about how it's been a while, because well, it's been a really long while. I'm still trying to work out how to make room for blogging and juggle everything else, and it's definitely been a challenge. But know that I am working on it, and I do really, really miss it. This place has been my Quantum of Solace for a long time, and I'm not planning on letting it go anytime soon. That being said... for this week's prompt, I was happily surprised when I pulled HARD CANDY . This is probably one of the most iconic brands of nail polish, and it's certainly gone through it's own number of changes throughout the years. Who didn't want to own a bottle of Sky once they saw it on Alicia Silverstone's nails way back in the 90's? Last year, Hard Candy celebrated their 20th anniversary by bringing back some of their most iconic shades. The collection was a mix of five original shades and three new ones.