Skip to main content

Pure Ice New Year New Hue Collection

One of the best things about any New Year is switching it up and trying something new! That's exactly what Pure Ice had in mind with their New Year New Hue Collection...

New Year New Hue by Pure Ice
left to right: Blue Hue, Dollface, Flawless, Frost Finish, Poppin' Bottles, Purple Haze, Rosy Glow, and What's the Splatter

Can we talk about the fact that this collection boasts SIX topcoats, FIVE of which are glitter toppers? That alone made me stop in my tracks when I first read about it online. Glitter toppers are easily my favorite kind of polish, not just because of the sparkle factor, but also because of the transformation value. Glitter toppers give new life to old polish in so, so many different ways!

Blue Hue by Pure Ice
left to right: 1, 2, 3, and 4 coats of Blue Hue

Blue Hue is described as a "blue glitter hint." It's a sheer, buildable blue with opalescent glitter that flashes orange, gold, green, blue, and purple. There's a decent amount of glitter sprinkled in Blue Hue. Great glitter payoff, and the formula wasn't overly thick or glumpy!

Purple Haze by Pure Ice
left to right: 1, 2, 3, and 4 coats of Purple Haze

Purple Haze is the violet sibling to Blue Hue, with just a smidge more glitter packed in each coat. It's got the same opalescent glitter, but in a sheer, buildable purple base. The blue and purple flashes tend to be the most obvious in this polish, and it makes for a shimmery fairy-sprinkles kind of effect.

Pure Ice Rosy Glow
left to right: 1, 2, 3, and 4 coats of Rosy Glow

Rosy Glow rounds out the trio of opalescent glitter toppers. It's a "pink glitter hint," and although the glitter looks more sparse in 1 coat in my photos, Rosy Glow still built up just as well as Blue Hue and Purple Haze. The opalescent glitter in Rosy Glow flashes from orange to purple and all the colors in between.

Pure Ice Poppin' Bottles
left to right: 1, 2, 3, and 4 coats of Poppin' Bottles

Poppin' Bottles is touted by Pure Ice as "a silver pearl with silver hex glitter, and a gold iridescent finish," and that combination is seriously gorgeous. The gold iridescent shimmer has an ever-so-slight green tinge to it, and it's just stunning. Packing in a sprinkle of silver glitter adds just a touch more sparkle, but also a whimsical feel. I've got to admit, out of the entire collection, this is the one I was immediately drawn to. (You know me and shiny things!)

What's the Splatter? by Pure Ice
left to right: 1, 2, 3, and 4 coats of What's the Spatter?

What's the Splatter is "clear with white and black hex glitter," but there's also a superfine irridescent glitter in the mix, too! It didn't come through in my photos, but it's there in person, I promise! There's a lot of other black and white glitter polishes on the market, but the irridescent sparkle definitely makes this one unique! What's the Splatter also has a very nice glitter to polish ratio, making it really easy to apply. No fishing required!

Pure Ice Frost Finish over various colors
left to right: 1 coat Frost Finish over What's the Splatter, Poppin' Bottles, Purple Haze, Blue Hue, Rosy Glow, Flawless, and Dollface

Frost Finish is a matte finish top coat from Pure Ice. I'm not a huge fan of a matte finish, but Frost Finish does a good job. I like the look of all of the New Year New Hue polishes matted, including Dollface, but not so much with Flawless. It almost completely erases the metallic finish, which is totally the point, I know, but I don't like it as much mattefied.

Now, In addition to all that glittery goodness and the matte top coat, the New Year New Hue collection contains two other polishes, a creme called Dollface and a metallic named Flawless.

Dollface by Pure Ice
left to right: 1, 2, 3, and 4 coats of Dollface

Dollface is a "soft creme peach" polish. Given the fact that this is a pastel, and pastels tend to love streaking, I was pleasantly surprised with the formula. It smoothed out nicely. While I'm not the biggest fan of this color on my nails exclusively, I can see myself reaching for this to create festival nails come Spring/Summer. I'm already itching to pair this with mint in a negative space manicure!

Pure Ice Flawless
left to right: 1, 2, 3, and 4 coats of Flawless

Flawless... "a frosted light gold with a metallic finish." This color surprised me a little, not gonna lie. I didn't expect it to be so sheer, and I didn't think I'd like the pearlescence in it as much as I did. Flawless builds nicely, and it's a really workable tone of gold. I like that it's not overly yellow. I see this polish much in the same vein as Dollface... I can see it being an excellent stamping polish, and I'm so curious to see how it looks when it's sponged on!

Overall, I really like this collection. Pure Ice mixed it up a lot, and you don't often see collections like this. There's a lot of new finishes and effects to try here. If I had to pick favorites though, I would definitely say Poppin' Bottles and What's the Splatter, then the trio of Blue Hue, Purple Haze, and Rosy Glow. I like how Pure Ice added a little sparkle into these sheer, buildable shades! Oh, and remember how I said there are lots of ways to transform polish with these glitter toppers? I've got a couple posts coming that will demonstrate just that, and go into a little more detail!

Pure Ice polishes retail exclusively in Walmart stores and on their website for $1.97/bottle. Pure Ice is a salon-inspired long-wear nail formula that's available in over 96 stunning and on-trend shades. The shade library contains a striking variety of colors and finishes - from iridescent pearls to bright creams, holographic and chunky glitters to mirror-like metallics; every shade is beautiful and unique. Pure Ice nail enamels are free of formaldehyde, toluene, and DBP. Follow Pure Ice on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

*provided by PR for review. All thoughts, views, and opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SinfulColors Mauve On Seriotype

Whether you call it a seriotype or smooshy... (I prefer seriotype) there is just something about this style of manicure that I can't get enough of.  Polishes Used:  1 Coat Fingerpaints Smooth Out Ridge Filler 3 Coats SinfulColors Mauve On Essie Leggy Legend Pahlish Autumn People Pure Ice Get in Line 1 Coat SinfulColors Clear Coat 1 Coat Seche Vite Hey there! It's been a little while, hasn't it? Sorry about that. Life happens, you know? Oddly enough, I didn't stop painting my nails during my hiatus. I kept taking pictures for a while, and then that just sort of stopped to. Weird how some habits die hard, while others don't change a bit.  Anyhoo... I found pictures of this mani in my files and couldn't believe I didn't share it! This was one of my favorite polishes last spring, and I recreated this exact seriotype/ a few times.  This mani started out with 3 fresh coats of Mauve On. I typically wrap my tips on the 2nd c

Fishbowl Friday 073 // Recreation

Every now and then, I enjoy looking back over past manicures. Creatively, it's just neat to see how far I've come since the days I started. Oddly enough, when I chose this prompt, I knew exactly which manicure I wanted to recreate. Based loosely on Fishbowl Friday 027 , today's seriotype nails are a RECREATION ...  Polishes Used: 1 Coat Fingerpaints Smooth Over Ridge Filler 3 Coats China Glaze Violet Vibes Essie Leggy Legend Pahlish Autumn People Pure Ice Get in Line SinfulShine Konstellation 2 Coats SinfulColors Clear Coat 1 Coat Seche Vite Looking back, I can honestly say that my seriotype game has come far since I first learned the method. One of the things that took me a while to master was the balance of nail polish finishes. While seriotypes made exclusively with creme polishes look cool, those made with a combination of different finishes really pop. There's more depth involved when you layer a metallic over a jelly neon and

Fishbowl Friday 072 // Hard Candy

We're going to skip that whole part where we talk about how it's been a while, because well, it's been a really long while. I'm still trying to work out how to make room for blogging and juggle everything else, and it's definitely been a challenge. But know that I am working on it, and I do really, really miss it. This place has been my Quantum of Solace for a long time, and I'm not planning on letting it go anytime soon. That being said... for this week's prompt, I was happily surprised when I pulled HARD CANDY . This is probably one of the most iconic brands of nail polish, and it's certainly gone through it's own number of changes throughout the years. Who didn't want to own a bottle of Sky once they saw it on Alicia Silverstone's nails way back in the 90's? Last year, Hard Candy celebrated their 20th anniversary by bringing back some of their most iconic shades. The collection was a mix of five original shades and three new ones.