Skip to main content

Best Nail Polishes of 2015

As another year comes to a close, I've found myself reminiscing, reviewing, and recapping. It's hard for me to imagine just how many new nail polishes that hit the market in any given year. Thousands? Hundreds of Thousands? I'd love to know the actual number! 

Nail polish trends change so quickly from season to season, and they also vary between brands. For every traditional collection out there, you can almost always expect a random collection with colors that we all love, but aren't really seasonal. In addition to experimenting with colors, there's also experimenting with different finishes. From bar glitter and contrasting shimmer to textured and holographic glitter, we've seen a lot of variation in 2015!

Out of all those polishes, only a select few really get the nail world buzzing. And so much can happen over the course of 12 months! Gel polishes really became a thing, two popular brands went out of business, and a PR nightmare resulted in a huge campaign to support independent nail polish brands. And those are just the highlights! 

So here they are, (in no real particular order and totally according to me) The Best Polishes of 2015...

Pahlish Autumn People
Multichrome and Ultrachrome flakies were huge this year. I resisted for a very, very long time, and I have no idea why I did that. Autumn People has been in my collection for almost 2 months, and I've worn it a LOT. My love for it is definitely what led me to order the Pahlish December Monthly Duo featuring Gumdrop Rooftop. 1/2/3/4/5

Autumn People by Pahlish
Pahlish Autumn People


OPI Colorpaints (Chromatic Orange, Indigo Motif, Landscape Artist, Magenta Muse, Pen & Pink, Primarily Yellow, Purple Perspective, Silver Canvas, and Turquoise Aesthetic.)
This nine-piece collection was bought and featured by a ton of blogs. I've been wanting a full set of jelly polishes for a long time, and OPI really delivered. Last year's Sheer Tints were a little bit too sheer, and I feel like they really took the message and perfected the Colorpaints Collection before releasing. It's a really versatile set of polishes with a great formula. 1/2/3/4/5

OPI Colorpaints Manicure
OPI Colorpaints


China Glaze Treble Maker
Part of the Electric Nights Collection from this Summer, Treble Maker ended up on my nails a LOT. It was on my toes for a good part of the summer too. Treble Maker was like Summer in a bottle. It was punchy and bright, and I just wanted to wear it all the time while it was hot out. This shade and Glow with the Flow were the beginning purchases from the Electric Nights Collection. Seven more followed, which brought me to 9 out of 12. O.o

China Glaze Treble Maker
China Glaze Treble Maker


Essie Leggy Legend
This shade dropped during the height of Pumpkin Spice season (Fall 2015) and we all swooned. It's a bronze leaning copper metallic shade that just glows. So gorgeous, and really great for nail art. 1/2/3/4

Essie Leggy Legend Manicures
featuring Essie Leggy Legend


Pure Ice Shimmer Wings (Iris, Jasmine, Rose)
There's just something about shimmer top coats. I'm constantly layering polishes together, and a fine wash of shimmer in any color can really make a manicure. Shimmer polishes really came into their own this year. They've always been in existence, but I think this year, they really started to be featured in more polishes. I always think of them as the proverbial icing on the cake. The Shimmer Wings Collection didn't really feature anything new, just a bit of re-branding and slight re-formulation of prior shimmer polishes. I'm not complaining, though! I was at the crossroads of backup or ration, and that's never a good place to be! Pure Ice has a great formula, too. 1/2/3/4/5

Nails featuring Pure Ice Iris, Jasmine, and Rose
featuring Pure Ice Shimmer Wings Iris, Jasmine, and Rose


Orly On The Edge
I feel like On The Edge is the purple shade that should've been included with the Orly Baked Collection back in Summer 2014, instead of Saturated. It's a punched up, slightly blue leaning purple that's insanely pigmented and so bright, it's practically neon. Despite the fact that it was part of a Summer collection, it doesn't feel seasonal. It's a great all-year-round statement nails kind of shade. 1/2/3/4/5

Orly On The Edge Nails
featuring Orly On The Edge













Wet n Wild I Moss Have It
Metallic finishes were everywhere this Fall. Every single polish in Wet n Wild's Fall Collection Here's To The Wild One featured a metallic finish. I Moss Have It was the green of the collection. A deep, brooding, metallic olive green shade that I definitely had to have!

I Moss Have It Wet n Wild
Wet n Wild I Moss Have It


and finally... Seriotype EVERYTHING
I know, I know... it's a technique, not a nail polish! But I really latched on to Seriotypes earlier this year, and I can't get enough of it. I love that it doesn't require a whole lot of artistic ability, because me and drawing just don't go. But this? It's like a collage on my nails, and it's so much fun to play with different colors and finishes! Definitely stay tuned for more in 2016!

Seriotype Manicures
Seriotypes by Seize the Sparkle


Not to quote NPR or anything, but all things considered, it's been quite a year! If I had to nail down (haha) any particular trends, I'd say that shimmer and multichrome flakies really took the cake for 2015. Definitely makes me wonder what the next big thing will be for 2016! What were some of your favorites from 2015? What do you want to see in 2016? Let me know in the comments! 

-S

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SinfulColors Mauve On Seriotype

Whether you call it a seriotype or smooshy... (I prefer seriotype) there is just something about this style of manicure that I can't get enough of.  Polishes Used:  1 Coat Fingerpaints Smooth Out Ridge Filler 3 Coats SinfulColors Mauve On Essie Leggy Legend Pahlish Autumn People Pure Ice Get in Line 1 Coat SinfulColors Clear Coat 1 Coat Seche Vite Hey there! It's been a little while, hasn't it? Sorry about that. Life happens, you know? Oddly enough, I didn't stop painting my nails during my hiatus. I kept taking pictures for a while, and then that just sort of stopped to. Weird how some habits die hard, while others don't change a bit.  Anyhoo... I found pictures of this mani in my files and couldn't believe I didn't share it! This was one of my favorite polishes last spring, and I recreated this exact seriotype/ a few times.  This mani started out with 3 fresh coats of Mauve On. I typically wrap my tips on the 2nd c

Fishbowl Friday 073 // Recreation

Every now and then, I enjoy looking back over past manicures. Creatively, it's just neat to see how far I've come since the days I started. Oddly enough, when I chose this prompt, I knew exactly which manicure I wanted to recreate. Based loosely on Fishbowl Friday 027 , today's seriotype nails are a RECREATION ...  Polishes Used: 1 Coat Fingerpaints Smooth Over Ridge Filler 3 Coats China Glaze Violet Vibes Essie Leggy Legend Pahlish Autumn People Pure Ice Get in Line SinfulShine Konstellation 2 Coats SinfulColors Clear Coat 1 Coat Seche Vite Looking back, I can honestly say that my seriotype game has come far since I first learned the method. One of the things that took me a while to master was the balance of nail polish finishes. While seriotypes made exclusively with creme polishes look cool, those made with a combination of different finishes really pop. There's more depth involved when you layer a metallic over a jelly neon and

Fishbowl Friday 072 // Hard Candy

We're going to skip that whole part where we talk about how it's been a while, because well, it's been a really long while. I'm still trying to work out how to make room for blogging and juggle everything else, and it's definitely been a challenge. But know that I am working on it, and I do really, really miss it. This place has been my Quantum of Solace for a long time, and I'm not planning on letting it go anytime soon. That being said... for this week's prompt, I was happily surprised when I pulled HARD CANDY . This is probably one of the most iconic brands of nail polish, and it's certainly gone through it's own number of changes throughout the years. Who didn't want to own a bottle of Sky once they saw it on Alicia Silverstone's nails way back in the 90's? Last year, Hard Candy celebrated their 20th anniversary by bringing back some of their most iconic shades. The collection was a mix of five original shades and three new ones.